Gainsborough Trinity 2-4 Southport – Blue Square North


On Saturday 12th September I visited Northolme, the home of Gainsborough Trinity for the first time. I went to see Gainsborough Trinity of the Blue Square North play Southport. It was also Gainsborough’s new manager Brian Little, who has managed teams like Aston Villa and Leicester City in the past, first game incharge.

Gainsborough Trinity formed in 1872 and were voted into the football league in 1891. However in 1912 they resigned from the league and have been in the non-league ever since. Trinity joined the Northern (currently Unibond League) League in 1969 and stayed there until 2004, when they got promoted to the Blue Square North where they have stayed up until the current season.

We arrived at the ground about an hour before kick off and walked around the outside before going into the social club situated outside the ground. The ground itself looked nice from the outside. Especially good was the fact that it was a beautiful sunny day, perfect for football.

The social club was rather big with lots of different framed items from the clubs history including programmes, news cuttings, old phots etc.

The game kicked off at 3 o’clock and Southport immediatley caused Trinity problems. It took just 13 minutes for the first goal to be scored. A Southport throw in ended up in the box and Ciaran Kilheeney stuck the ball in the top corner to give the visitors a 1-0 lead.

After this early setback Gainsborough started to play alot better and before long former Chesterfield player Glynn Hurst put the ball past Southport’s keeper from close range to equal the match at 1-1. Although as Gainsborough began to look the better side Southport regained there lead on the 40th minute with a volley from Matty McGinn beating Trinity keeper Phil Barnes.

During half time I walked round to the other end to sit in the rather impressive main stand and got phots with new Gainsborough manager Brian Little and new signing Luke Beckett who also used to play for my team Chesterfield.

Just after the interval Glynn Hurst bagged his second of the game by almost walking the ball into the net. He didnt seem to know a lot about it but it went into the net to level the match once again at 2-2.

Southport striker Steve Daly gave Southport the lead once again on the 62nd minute and put the icing on Southport’s cake with a beautiful goal, smashing the ball home from distance giving Trinity’s keeper no chance.

I thought Southport looked a superb side, and they could easily make it to the Blue Square Premier next season which would put them one division below the football league.

I also thought Gainsborough’s ground was very impressive, especially the main stand which was a great stand with a good view from there (though not alot of leg room!) .I would definitely recommend a visit to Northolme one day if you get the chance,I had a great day.

See below for photos




Outside Gainsborough Trinity’s main stand



Inside Trinity’s social club







Action at the Northomle


Trinity players celebrate as Glynn Hurst makes it 1-1



Me and Brian Little


Luke Beckett


A view from the stand


A last shot of the main stand


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s