Chesterfield 2-3 Bury – League 2


On Monday 25th April 2011, I was at the B2Net Stadium to watch League 2 leaders Chesterfield face second placed Bury in a match that could decide which side will win the league.

 There was a real buzz around the ground as we arrived and I was really excited about the occasion. Should Chesterfield win today they would win become Champions, however a defeat would mean it could go right down to the last game of the season to decide who would win the title.
There was lots of optimism, with flags and t-shirts saying ‘Chesterfield  Promoted Champions’ on them even though the Spireites were yet to officially win the league. We wandered around for a while soaking up the atmosphere, chatting to various fans we know and taking plenty of photographs.
It was a beautiful sunny day and the match between the league’s two best teams was a brilliant prospect. Disappointingly, the Spireites played very poorly in the first half and fell behind after 12 minutes through a headed goal from Tom Lees. Despite Bury playing much better than Chesterfield, the score remained 1-0 until half time.In truth the Spireites never looked like scoring.
The league leaders played slightly better in the second half, and levelled on 50 minutes through a cracking goal from Craig Davies. To the joy of the away supporters  Bury regained the lead just five minutes later with a goal from David Worrall.
Jack Lester then levelled once again in this end-to-end game on the 63rd minute, and this temporarily ended the 13 minute scoring spree. As time approached the game seemed to be crying out for a late winner, and I was desperately hoping that Chesterfield would get a fairytale ending to the season with a late winner sealing the title, but sadly it wasn’t to be. Instead, Ryan Lowe ruined my hopes by scoring an 86th minute goal to seal Bury’s promotion and ensure that the title race would go down to the wire.
After the game I was bitterly disappointed not to be celebrating a title victory, but instead I had to sit in the stands and watch Bury fans celebrate their promotion long after the game had ended.
Eventually we left the stadium, and I got pictures with Ryan Lowe, Phil Picken, Efe Sodje, Kyle Bennett and Nicky Ajose, before heading home.


Celebratory T-Shirts

Bury team coach

Bury fans

I do an interview for Spireites Player


Jacob and his mum Dawn proudly hold up the flag

Programme Sellers

Filming the big day


Michael and me with Chesterfield legend Andy Morris

Julie and Alan

Paul, Leanne, Ross and Luke

Dale Stevens aka T-Shirt wearer

Jono with the flag

Gary and June Steele, proud and faithful Spireites

Andy and Steve, Cameraman and Commentator

Chesterfield players warm up

Shane Redmond signs for the kids

Vew from the back corner of the stand

The Kop

Fans on the Kop

Bury fans

Bury players huddle up before kick off

Flag on the Kop


The players come out onto the pitch

Kick off

1-0 to Bury

John Sheridan at pitchside

My view of the game

Albert Collins drwas the raffle at half time

The players warm up before the second half

Chesterfield players and fans celebrate the equaliser

Bury score the winner late on

The final score

The Bury players celebrate promotion

The players celebrate in front of the fans

What might have been...

Chesterfield and Bury are now both promoted to League 1

Dean Morgan signs autographs

Ryan Lowe

Nicky Ajose

Kyle Bennett

Phil Picken

Efe Sodje


One comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s