Chesterfield 1-1 Oldham Athletic – League 1

Chesterfield and Oldham Athletic played out an entertaining 1-1 draw at the Proact Stadium on 18th October 2014 as both teams continued their good starts to the campaign.

The visitors led early in the second period courtesy of Jonathan Forte’s eighth goal of the season. But Sam Clucas’ close-range volley just shy of the hour made sure that the two sides deservedly shared the spoils.

Sitting 6th and 8th respectively in League 1, both the Spireites and the Latics had made excellent starts to the season. And the record books made it almost impossible to call. Oldham were on an outstanding 10-game unbeaten run in all competitions. However, they had not won in Chesterfield since 2002.

Two open and attacking sides going head to head provided an entertaining contest for the 7,130 fans in attendance on a bright autumn afternoon.

A bright Autumn afternoon


Eoin Doyle, the division’s top scorer, had the first chance of the game after just a couple of minutes but his header was comfotably held by Paul Rachubka.

Tommy Lee was then forced in to action as the Latics hit back with an attack of their own. Carl Winchester’s well struck effort forced the Spireites goalkeeper to make an athletic save.

Early action

Early action

Chesterfield captain Ian Evatt came close to breaking the deadlock with a header that flew just inches wide of the target. Oldham’s top scorer Forte then hit a couple of efforts goalward, the first forcing another save form Lee who was on top form this afternoon.

The game was goalless at the break, but less than five minutes after the restart it had it’s first goal.

Danny Philliskirk was brought down in the box by Georg Margreitter and the referee instantly awarded the away side a spot kick. Forte stepped up for the Latics and slotted the ball home to give his side the lead with 49 minutes gone.


Forte scores from the spot

But this goal appeared to breathe new life in to the Spireites. Spurred on by the home supporters, Chesterfield immediately poured forward in search of the equaliser. And just eight minutes after falling behind, they found it with a brilliantly worked goal.

Following some neat build up play on the edge of the box, Gary Roberts received the ball and chipped it over the defence. It landed perfectly to the feet of Clucas, who struck a beautiful volley leaving Rachubka with no chance. It was the summer signing’s first goal in front of the home supporters and a very important one indeed.

Chesterfield celebrate the equaliser

Chesterfield celebrate the equaliser

Both teams had chances to take the lead. Jabo Ibehre came close with an effort that forced the heroic Lee to make yet another good save. Meanwhile for Chesterfield, Sam Morsy almost found the net but his driven shot was tipped wide by the Latics ‘keeper.

With the 90 minutes up, Oldham nearly stole the victory when a goalmouth scramble ensued inside the six yard box. However, nobody could put the ball in the net and the game ultimately ended level – a fair outcome from a contest between two good quality sides.

A fair outcome

A fair outcome

Chesterfield 1-1 Oldham Athletic

Forte ’49 (pen), Clucas ’57

Lee, Darikwa, Evatt, Margreitter, Jones (Gnanduillet ’67), Johnson (Gardner ’88), Morsy, Ryan, Roberts (O’Shea ’86), Doyle, Clucas

Rachubka, Wilson (Kusunga ’90), Wilson, Dieng, Mills, Winchester (Dayton ’73), Jones, Kelly, Forte, Philliskirk, Poleon (Ibehre ’65)

 Attendance: 7,130


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s