Chesterfield 0-3 Swindon Town – League 1


Chesterfield were comfortably beaten by Swindon Town at the Proact Stadium on Tuesday 28th October 2014.

The Robins provided one of the best attacking performances in recent memory as they ran out 3-0 winners on a rainy Tuesday night in North Derbyshire. Two goals in four first half minutes from Yaser Kasim and Nathan Byrne put Swindon well on their way to victory. And a third from Andy Williams in the 70th minute guaranteed that they travelled back down South with all three points.

This evening match was almost impossible to call. The two sides had both made excellent starts to the campaign which warranted their top half table placings. But poor runs of form, both without a win in four, had seem them slip from the play offs down to 9th and 10th respectively. Each desperately required a win tonight if they were to keep in touching distance of the top six.

The rain was pouring down as the contest got underway, a stark contrast from the beautiful sunshine that shone over Wembley Stadium the last time the two sides met – Chesterfield running out 2-0 winners in the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy final that day.

A wet evening in Chesterfield

A wet evening in Chesterfield

The early stages of the game stayed true to form. It was end to end football with both sides hitting a number of efforts off target while Sam Clucas forced the first, albeit comfortable, save of the game from Wes Foderingham.

The Proact Stadium then bore witness to probably the worst miss of it’s four-year history courtesy of Swindon’s Jonathan Obika. The striker charged through on goal and rounded goalkeeper Tommy Lee. But with the net at his mercy, he somehow managed to fire wide when it looked easier to put his team ahead!

A superb save from Foderingham at the other end was then required to keep the game goalless. Sam Morsy’s powerful deflected effort from the edge of the box looked destined for goal but the outstretched hand of the Robins’ goalkeeper kept it out.

Swindon Town

Swindon Town

After an even start, two goals in four minutes suddenly put the visitors well and truly in the ascendancy.

The first came directly from a free kick as Kasim’s strike appeared to swerve in the air and left Lee with no hope of keeping it out. And just minutes later the advantage was doubled when Byrne unleashed an unstoppable effort that flew in to the back of the net.

Swindon open the scoring

Swindon open the scoring

The goals had stunned the Spireites and as the game wore on in to the second period, The Robins were more and more dominant – cutting through the defence with ease at times.

And they came very close to adding to their lead on a couple of occassions. Luongo’s driven effort flew agonisingly wide of far post. Smith was then through on goal – his effort only kept out by some top-notch goalkeeping.

With 20 minutes to go however, Swindon did find a third. The hugely impressive Byrne charged past a couple of defenders before playing through Andy Williams, who took the ball past the goalkeeper and slotted the ball home before running to celebrate with the elated away supporters.

Happy Swindon fans

Happy Swindon fans

Chesterfield did have a late push in the hope of giving their fans something to shout about, but they never looked like staging a fighback and in the end they could do nothing but hold up their hands and admit they had been beaten by a better side on the night.

Chesterfield 0-3 Swindon Town

Kasim ’30, Byrne ’34, Williams ’70

Lee, Evatt, Darikwa, Margreitter, Morsy, Jones, Ryan (Ariyibi ’53), Gardner (Johnson ’53), Clucas, Gobern (Banks ’74), Doyle

Foderingham, Stephens, Thompson, Turnbull, Byrne, Luongo, Kasim, Thompson (Reeves ’81), Bell (Toffolo ’86), Smith, Obika (Williams ’68)

 Attendance: 6,144


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s