Chesterfield 1-0 Bury – League 1

On Tuesday 13th September I went to the B2Net Stadium to watch Chesterfield face Bury in League 1.

After a poor start to life in League 1, Chesterfield had finally picked up their first victory of the season away at Bournemouth on Saturday and they were looking to build on this against fellow promoted side Bury.

The last time these two teams met, it was a game between the top 2 sides in League 2. Bury won 3-2 that day but the Spireites still went on to lift the League 2 title. Both teams have changed quite a bit since that game and both Chesterfield and Bury have lost their top scorers in Craig Davies and Ryan Lowe.

Today’s game also saw the home debut of loan signing Leon Clarke, who has joined Chesterfield on a 3 month loan from Swindon after manager Paolo Di Canio said he would never play for the Robins again. Clarke had scored the 3rd goal against Bournemouth on Saturday in his first game for the Spireites and I was looking forward to seeing him in action tonight.

Chesterfield dominated the possession and looked the better side for the majority of the game. Scott Boden had the best chance of the first half when Clarke played him through in the box but his shot was saved by the Shakers keeper. Despite this dominance from Chesterfield the first half ended goalless, though if anyone was going to score it as going to be the Spireites.

The home side did take the lead on the 66th minute when Boden’s pass across the edge the box found Clarke who hit the ball first time and it flew into the back of the net. This was Clarke’s second goal in as many games for Chesterfield.

After falling behind, Bury pressured for an equaliser. The Shakers’ best chance came late on when the ball fell to Mark Cullen who had to simply tap the ball home but instead he passed it straight into the safe hands of Tommy Lee.

With 8 minutes to go Chesterfield goalkeeper Lee signalled that he was injured and needed to be substituted, so reserve keeper Greg Fleming became the second Chesterfield goalkeeper to play in net at the B2Net Stadium.

It stayed 1-0 until the final whistle, giving Chesterfield their first home win of the season and moving them further away from the relegation spots.

After the game I got pictures with on loan defender Jonathon Grounds and Bury players Giles Coke, Phil Picken and Shaun Harrad, who I have now met outside the B2Net Stadium as a Burton, Northampton and Bury player! Finally I got a picture with Bury manager Richie Barker who took over from Alan Knill at the end of last season.

Bury make their second visit to the B2Net Stadium

The NPower League 2 Trophy

Me sat by the NPower League 2 trophy

The trophy cabinet

An evening at the B2Net Stadium

The photos are taken before kick off

Bury’s travelling supporters

The Bury players huddle before the game gets underway

Leon Clarke on his home debut for Chesterfield

The players celebrate Clarke’s goal

Greg Fleming comes on for the injured Tommy Lee

Fleming on his Chesterfield debut

Final Score: 1-0

Clarke and Holden applaud the fans

The Bury players coach

Jonathon Grounds

Shaun Harrad, who has played at the B2Net Stadium for 3 different clubs

Former Chesterfield player Phil Picken

Giles Coke, who is on loan at Bury from Sheffield Wednesday


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s